Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Make it work

Last week I wrote about the violent crime that I feared would be a shot heard round the world. I'm afraid to report that I was, in some ways, right.

Since last monday when I wrote, there have been fistfights in school EVERY DAY, most as aftershocks to the main event. I tried remembering how many fights there were a YEAR at my highschool growing up. Maybe two or three- but never daily. Fights, in a sick way, are hilarious. Usually there's an administrator sprinting down the hall, followed by a wildebeest-type stampede of students looking to get a view of the action.

I still have enough humor left to laugh at the scenes of mayhem (and admit that if I were a student, I'd probably be in that stampede), but it's added another completely draining addition to my life here at school. Every day we have the additional job of security officer, checking each student for ID's, backpacks, jackets- making sure there aren't strangers lurking in the halls or weapons on anybody. And every day we must act as pacifists, constantly calming a revved up and unfocused student body, convincing them to leave the drama at the door and focus for an hour and a half on Spanish.

In a wierd way the wild environment has given more meaning to my job. I really do NOT need more stress, but on the same token I know that I must be an example of structure and support for my students in an environment where the focus is increasingly taken off learning. I also try to step back and remember that my school doesn't have metal detectors or police swarming the hall, and many of my peers in Teach For America teach in buildings that more closely resemble a jail than a school. I still work at a school, and I'm determined to be a factor in keeping it that way.

In other news, the DC fall weather is to DIE FOR! I finally get why fall is everyone's favorite season. It's the middle of November and the days are still a sweet, sunny 65 degrees with a crisp breeze blowing, and the nights are the kind of chilly made for hot spicy tea. Tomorrow I think I will cook a tasty fall dinner- maybe a chili! And celebrate these beautiful days.

Peace and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment