Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Long Overdue

This post is long, long overdue.

Last week was one of the most adventurous weeks I've had so far. It all started two Tuesdays ago with an enticing voicemail from my boss in LA, Dr. Charles. "You may think I'm calling you with long term plans," he said, "but in reality I'm calling with a short term opportunity that is going to send you into orbit when you hear it." I couldn't imagine what he wanted, and I called him back after school to discover that he was working on a new recording project with his Capitol Records guys and wanted- of all people- ME! to come out and sing a few baseball ditties for the recording.

At first I struggled. Could I leave school to go to LA? How many days could I miss? Where did my obligations lie? But we figured a way for me to miss just one day, a Tuesday. I would fly out after school Monday and fly back the next night on a red-eye and arrive in DC at 6 am. A true jet-set.

I was exhausted when I got off the plane in LA, but also thrilled. It was like some kind of Twilight Zone time warp, steppping back into my old world and seeing all my old coworkers. Charles and my friend Meghan picked me up and to my surprise and delight, headed to the Beverly Hills Hotel for dinner. The food was so exquisite I nearly cried (Teach For America diet has consisted of generic microwave meals, ensures, and Mac n Cheese, generally.) We caught up on the drama of the front office, where everyone had landed after the firing spree, and where future plans lie. It is a scary time out there for everyone. In an odd, odd way, my trip left me feeling very happy about my choice to do TFA and the job security, experience, and of course Master's Degree that are coming with it.

Recording in LA was a total blast. Being with such extrordinary musicians and watching them work, and then getting to step into the recording studio myself! It was some kind of crazy dream. I loved hearing myself in the headphones and singing into the high-tech mic. No matter what I did it sounded good! When I get pictures and the actual sound tracks I will post them for all to see. (Pre warning: THESE SONGS ARE CORNY!)

It was back to the grind on Wednesday, though. A painful grind on a red-eye's worth of sleep! But grad school is done, school school has been smooth, and Christmas is SO SOON! Yes...Life is good. More posts soon!

Peace and love.

3 comments:

  1. You lead one heck of a life, Miss Hornstein

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you made it out to the west coast! Stay positive! I'd love to see you soon...hmmm I'll have to think of some way for us to catch up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I envy your craziness, thats awesome!

    ReplyDelete