Sunday, February 13, 2011

Reeling, Reflecting, Re-evaluating: The TFA 20th anniversary Summit

I'm not really ready to write this blog post. My brain is still spinning too much, my heart is still beating too fast. This weekend, I attended the Teach For America 20th Anniversary Summit here in DC. I'm never at a loss for words, but I'm struggling to illustrate the emotional magnitude of a weekend that was so extreme and condense an event that was so enormous.

The event, in many ways, paralleled the Teach For America experience itself. 11,000 of the nation's brightest and most passionate leaders descended upon the Convention Center. The number of alumni nation-wide and the work they do, coupled with the extreme displays of heart, innovation and persistence was utterly inspiring. But the hard facts of the crisis in our country leave your soul feeling beaten to a pulp. It's what we struggle with every day in the classroom and in this movement: "This is a solvable problem and I can make a difference," vs. "The problem and the layers behind the problem are so stunningly huge, who am I to do anything?" In 20 years, we've done so much. But in 20 years, we've done nothing at all- the achievement gap has actually grown.

Optimists speaking at the convention repeated a common theme: The difference between now and 20 years ago is that we know what works. 20 years ago there was not one example of turning around a failed school or school district, there were no successful charter models and a good teacher was a rare, natural phenomenon. Now, thanks in great part to the work of TFA'ers nation wide, we have expansive charter school networks defying the odds and obliterating the achievement gap, research about teacher training, and models for successful administration and funding. We have hard data to back up our claims. There was the rallying cry for a revolution at the conference. The theory is that now we know what works, we have to move whoever or whatever is in the way of implementing reforms and saving our kids.

I saw some real spitfires speak at this conference. Among my favorites were classic rebel rousers Joel Klein, Geoffrey Canada, and Michelle Rhee. My new favorite guy was John Deasy. He was the former Superintendent of PG County Public schools and will take over in Los Angeles this year. He was so bold and direct and passionate. I loved him.

It wasn't all dark and serious, though. Personally entertaining moments abounded. Malcolm Gladwell delighted everyone with a taste of nerd humor, but I thought he was upstaged by panelist Gloria Steinem's low cut shirt that flaunted her saggy, braless, 70-year-old feminist boobs. Newly-elected DC Mayor Vince Gray might be the most awkward public speaker I have ever seen. His speech reminded me of the old SNL Will Ferrell sketch about voice immodulation. And of course, no one complained about John Legend live in concert. He.. is.. so.. beautiful.

My friend, Spain roommate, and Mississippi corps member Shana stayed with me for the weekend, but she wasn't the only long lost friend in town. Syracuse friends, Massachusetts friends, institute friends, people I have not seen for years- all under the same roof. It's so funny how my paths have diverged and reconnected with people under the TFA umbrella. It was impossible to see everyone I wanted between sessions, job fairs, dinners, and speakers.

I am exhausted and this post is already too long. Another busy week is ahead. Happy Singles' Awareness day to everyone tomorrow!

Peace and Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment