Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Ticklin' the Ivories

Tonight, as a conclusion to one of my New Year's resolutions, I had my first ever piano recital.

I have performed in so many venues in my life, from massive crowded ball parks to intimate family picnics. It's always interesting to me what situations make me nervous and what situations feel like a breeze. Playing the piano in a small college auditorium, hilariously enough, was one of the more nerve-wracking encounters in my performing career!

This is pretty ironic considering that less than a year ago, I sang in front of 35,000 people at Fenway Park. But it's a totally different feeling. By and large, big audiences feel anonymous. You can't actually see whom you are singing to, so it feels almost like you are performing by yourself. But put me in front of a small crowd (that included my boss, by the way) and it's a whole different world. You can see people's faces, hear their voices! They can see your mistakes UP CLOSE! 

Obviously that's a silly thought, because they don't notice your mistakes ever. But it just feels that way, especially when your hands are visibly shaking over the keys! And especially when it's your first stab at really performing an instrument that still feels so new to you! 

Besides the super shaky hands (thanks, Dad, for the genetically inherited occupational tremor!) tonight actually went very well. I was the last act in the recital of all of the vocal and piano students for the semester. My friends Amanda and Meredith came to listen to me play and Jason was there, too! It was so nice to have my friends there to cheer me on. Even though it made me nervous to have them there, it was also really joyful! 

If you are a real piano player and you watch this video, you will laugh because it is so simple. But I am really proud of how far I've come in just 12 weeks of lessons. When I started, I couldn't play a scale or even read a bass clef. I have decided to keep taking piano for a little while even though the school year is over-- it's just too fun, and I'd like to eventually be able to accompany myself when I sing! Maybe next time there won't be so much shaking! 


Enjoy! Peace and Love. 


No comments:

Post a Comment