Monday, March 23, 2009

I'm Moving to DC!!

Since I last wrote on Wednesday, not too much has passed...

With the exception that my future has been decided!

Last week I found out that I was accepted to Teach For America in Washington, D.C. to teach High School Spanish. I was thrilled at the location, but nervous about the assignment. Could I really teach Spanish? What would it be like trying to work in a highschool being so young? Was I ready for this kind of a challenge? And most importantly, this isn't PR- so why should I accept it?

I began a frenzy of research about what my life might really be like. If you've never heard of Teach For America before, it is a non-profit organization that is part of Americorps. After a thorough and extremely rigorous interview process, the nation's best and brightest college grads are invited to teach for two years in some of our country's worst school districts. The program is extremely competitive, but you've got to want more than a nice blip on your resume. You've got to be dedicated unwaveringly to social justice and the belief that you can touch lives.

The TFA network is extremely supportive and from the moment I was accepted I began receiving phone calls from people on every level of the organization. Program directors from D.C., Syracuse graduates, and Spanish teachers in the corps started calling me. I even had a faith-based community relations team member call me since I checkmarked that "Catholic" box. One by one, I started getting my questions answered.

It sounds like teaching highschool is a unique opportunity to help students get on the college track, and out of their bad neighborhoods. Especially as a language teacher, I'll be working with students who have a chance at higher education. I'll be able to offer real world advice, since I'll be working with young adults. The teachers I spoke to said over and over again that they felt so lucky to be a role model to young people every day. They knew they were making a real impression on these kids. As a language teacher, I'll also have a lot more freedom in creating my curriculum, and I won't have to worry about standardized tests and bars being passed. 

And what about my PR degree? Well , the staff at TFA was amazing at connecting me with PR professionals that had been through the corps. All of them explained that their experience ended up being invaluable in their career. To know how to communicate, to think outside the box, to manage people in a completely different light helped them grow as professionals and as people. And as one girl put it, "How is this NOT PR? You've got to sell the idea of learning Spanish to the hardest market possible. You're going to attack your classroom like and public...and you're going to HAVE to get your message across." The professionals I spoke to now work in PR for law and non-profit. It was great to get their perspective and really eased my worries about my transition after the corps. 

Everyone was very honest that this was going to be one of the most challenging experiences in my life. They said I would cry, they said I would be upset, they said at some points that I would want to quit. But they also said that for this kind of struggle, the rewards would far surpass the challenge. They said that I'll walk away from it a different person. They guaranteed me that I will make a difference. 

It was a hard decision at first, but as the week went on the choice became clear to me. To live in DC, to do this kind of work, and to have this chance to grow- I'll never have this chance again. The one final doubt holding me back was the memories of my job last summer in Los Angeles. I finally got a hold of my boss and confirmed what I already knew: there was no salaried job for me in LA, and nothing that could compare to my offer from TFA. My boss gave me his blessing, assured me that no bridges were burned, and that he still wanted me back at the end of this two-year stint. Moreover, he told me this could only help my baseball career. I'd come out knowing Spanish better than ever, and having a deeper connection and understanding with communities very similar to those that make up the fan base for a team like the Dodgers. 

So that's it- to DC I go on June 21, to start my new life!

I'd encourage you to check out the Teach For America Website:

and learn about where I'll be working:

Peace and Love!


No comments:

Post a Comment