Monday, March 2, 2009

Catching Up

Since I decided to do a public service announcement for my last blog post, I decided that it's time for an all-encompassing catch up on my life for the past two weeks!

Last weekend, a group called "Rain" came to Syracuse. They were a Beatles cover band, and I did a little research online about the show. It was an extravaganza! The guys in the band looked and sounded so much like the Beatles it was eerie. The show itself was a huge production- costume changes for the times, set changes, tv screens- the works. You felt right back in the 60's, a screaming fan in a black and white audience. It was a great time, and better still it was held in the Landmark Theatre. I've never been to the Landmark before- It's one of those theatres from the gilded twenties, completely decked in elaborate sculpture and gold leaf and red velvet. If you ever get a chance to see a show here, you must go!

Last Saturday, Justin and I took a day trip to Watertown, NY. I got to meet his family, and he gave me a tour of his childhood- old battlegrounds and parks, highschools and strip malls. Watertown is a quiet place, an old paper mill town rich in War of 1812 history and little points of pride- its boasts the world's oldest enclosed mall and lifesavers were invented there. We also drove up to the 1,000 islands region just a few miles north to the Canadian border. It was beautiful, and I thought about what my Grandparent's honeymoon there must have been like so many years ago. Our family has a little teapot that says "1,000 Islands" on it, a souvenir from their trip, and now I've finally seen at least a few of the islands after using that teapot so many times!

This past weekend was so much fun. My mom came up for a day, and we had the BEST day shopping, gossiping and eating. It seems like I never make it to the Carousel Mall unless mom is in town, but I have had excellent luck there when she does. After 2 years of fruitless searching, I finally found a suit! Yes, the classic grey professional interview-worthy suit and pants. Tall Ladies- go to the Limited! I finally found pants there suitable for a tower like me! 

The real reason mom came up wasn't to shop. This weekend was also DANCEWORKS, the once-a-year show that my roommate Stacey has been in each spring. This year, she was the Producer of the entire production of more than 120 girls. The lighting, costumes and choreography were so professional, and I was so proud of her! Stacey is a lyrical dancer, and she's been dancing since the age of 3. All those years of hard work were evident in the amazing production! Whew, to be so flexible, graceful and strong!

The other major event of the weekend was a massive "Grilled Cheese to Fight the Disease," sale that Justin organized and ran on Friday and Saturday night. The idea was simple: make grilled cheese, stuff them in coolers, and roam the streets selling them to the Syracuse weekend party crowd for a buck a piece. The event was a smash, making more than $200 to benefit the Relay For Life. But think of how that translates- 200 sandwiches. I'm proud to say I only burned myself 3 times, set the fire alarm off twice, and ruined 2 sandwiches. With all four burners going, the oven keeping sandwiches warm and a George Foreman plugged in, I can't believe I didn't blow a fuse or burn the house down! I think we plan on doing the event once more, the weekend before Relay. 

Finally, A bit of exciting news. Each year, Syracuse hosts a "Women of Distinction" event. This year, I was nominated! It's a huge honor and the keynote speaker is Idina Menzel, one of Broadway's hottest stars. Seeing as my screen name may or may not have been broadwaytor1111, and I've been eating up musicals since I could talk, I am pretty excited. Also, it's just so exciting to be a nominee! The awards ceremony is March 20, in honor of Women's history month. We'll hear the winners then, but I'm just so excited to go! 

I think that's it for this week. 
Peace and Love- next week is SPRING BREAK WITH HABITAT IN FLORIDA! So no entry next Monday, but expect a whopper follow up from my trip!



No comments:

Post a Comment