Friday, October 9, 2009

Good Hair

Work. Work. Work. It's all I ever seem to write about, because it's all I ever seem to do.

But there are some funny moments. Moments that just a few months ago would have blown my mind, but now just are another day in the life.

I have a confession. Before this summer, I did not know the trials and tribulations that black women went through with their hair. I didn't know that black hair can't really grow long. I literally had no black friends in highschool, or really in college, that explained this to me. When it was revealed that all those braids and curls and really hair of any length at all is FAKE, my mind was blown!

Chris Rock is coming out with a documentary called "Good Hair." When Meredith and I can, we try to get home in time for Oprah. She had Chris on to explain the documentary and to tell America just what black women go through. Wigs, relaxers, braids, weaves, what makes "good hair" and "bad hair," what self esteem issues little black girls go through... white people of course have bad hair days and hair struggles, especially if your hair is curly, but ladies, I tell you, nothing like this!

With this new information in mind, I went to Meredith's classroom for lunch to see one of her students hanging out taking a pair of classroom scissors to her head. I shreiked. "What are you doing!"

The girl just laughed and explained that she was cutting out her weave.

Meredith and I were fascinated. "How long did it take to go in there?" Meredith asked.

"About 4 hours," the girl replied.

"When do you know it's time for it to come out?" we wondered.

"When it's all nasty and I hate it!" The girl thought it was hilarious how rapt we were at this process.

Suddenly, a boy meandered into the classroom, skipping class. "Whatcha doin? Cuttin out all that horse hair?" He teased the girl, clearly flirting.

Snip. She accidentally cut some of her real hair and pouted. "Oh well."

Piles and piles of black human hair, probably once on the head of some poor woman in India, covered a desk. The two of them bantered back and forth about weaves, rows, braids and dreads.

"You gotta understand, we're white, we don't get it!" We clamored as they combed and pulled and unbraided, laughing at us all the while.

Always an adventure. Check out the trailer for the movie and have your mind blown! Good Hair

Peace and love!

No comments:

Post a Comment