Sunday, February 14, 2010

Snowmageddon

If you are reading this, and you are a close friend, you know that I have an obsession with weather. And although I appreciate all weather, lets be real: the more severe the better. Tornadoes, hurricanes, blizzards- all are thrilling. Yes, it's a nerdy hobby and something I probably shouldn't confess in a public venue like a blog, but it's the truth. For most of my young life I wanted to be a meteorologist until about the 9th grade when I realized that you have to do more than dress in a brightly colored skirt suit and point at a map. Weather is physics in disguise- oh cruel world. Now, I'm just what's known as a "Weather Hobbyist," and boy- has it been a week for me down here!

Washington has officially experienced the snowiest winter on record after two massive blizzards just days apart totally crippled our city last week. I haven't been in school for a full day since February 4th. We had a half-day Friday due to the pending storm, and then snow days all the way through last week. I wish I could say I was bored, but even with no TV (our satellite was ripped off the side of our house in the 40 mph winds) and depleted groceries, I have been completely entertained, mostly due to the very entertaining weather-related fear mongering that occurs in DC, especially on the internet and the blogosphere.

After countless hours of tracking storms, I can officially tell you that the best weather related site out there is accuweather.com. This site uses fantastic phrases like "potentially paralyzing" and verbs like "pummel." But a great one to check out is the Washington Post's Capital Weather Gang whose team of happy-go-lucky local weather nerds even give a "school cast" and a "fed cast." On a scale of 1-4 apples, (or 1-4 capitol buildings) with 4 apples being the most likely, will you have school (or work) tomorrow? But more than anything, I think this site said it all.

Dump trucks have been rolling through the streets today trying to remove most of the piled up mess. Parking and driving is still a challenge, even major highways like 295 are missing lane space and the side streets really never were officially cleared out. It will probably be weeks before we see life return to normalcy. I'm so glad I was here to witness history- my nerdy heart is satisfied for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment