Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Feliz Cumpleanos

Hola everyone! This is my first post writing as a 23 year old. I have to say: 23 feels old. Now, I'm definitely a twenty-something. At 21, you can drink. At 22, you graduate college. But from 23 on... you're just drifting through a decade of "finding yourself." It's like the sophomore year of life. You're not old enough to do anything major, but you're not a freshman anymore. You're just trying to figure out what you want to major in and what your next move should be. It's a lot of pressure!

I do love my birthday and I was sure to celebrate my first one here in DC right. Thursday was my actual birthday and to my surprise and delight I arrived to a classroom that was completely decked out in streamers and balloons and banners! Meredith and some of my students set it up as a surprise: we drove separately and she told me she had to tutor kids when really she was setting up my classroom. After school, friends joined me for happy hour at Banana Cafe. I love this little bar! The crowd is always eclectic and there's 3 dollar margaritas and free taquitos at the happy hour. Thursday night ended with a group of a dozen x-marines in their 70's reuniting at the bar singing "Happy Birthday," to me. How can anyone go wrong?

Friday, my dear friend Brian Rodin showed up (yes, the same Brian who took me to formal last spring) and we lassoed a sizable group together to hit up Adams Morgan, DC's party neighborhood. Adams Morgan is something like a Bourbon st... just bar after bar after bar, and everyone knows you end the night with the famous "Jumbo Slice" pizza !


Saturday was my actual party and unfortunately for me, it snowed 6 inches! For DC, this is a traumatizing accumulation, and even though it's not a lot in my mind, it's a lot when the streets have never seen the swipe of a plow or a grain of sand or salt. No one could drive and a lot of people backed out of the party. However, my true friends all braved the storm and about a dozen of us enjoyed a great dinner, cocktails and a highly competitive game of apples to apples.

All in all it was a wonderful, very packed weekend and I felt truly lucky and blessed. Now, I'm sitting home enjoying a SNOW DAY and there is more winter weather on the way!

Peace and Love.

1 comment:

  1. Hope you're surviving all the snow you're getting! More than us here in Syracuse = crazy!

    ReplyDelete