Sunday, August 29, 2010

Bossy

It feels good to be the boss.

No. I mean it. My first week back to school was this week- and - (God, I'm going to curse it by writing this post) I am in charge! It was truly a peaceful, in-control week. I have great classes of kids that are excited to learn, and so far, supportive parents as partners for the year.

There's no doubt in my mind that this is the calm before the storm. I mean, last year I started out with NOTHING and the kids were still good enough for me. The kids at GPHS have a little fear of God to start out the year, giving all us rookies a chance in our first week. I remember it was the 3rd week last year when the big guns came out. Honeymoon over. Difference is, I know how to deal with it this time!

There are other improvements too. I have an enormous classroom, which means I have the room to move around and stay close to kids that seem off task. We have a new administration that is running a tight ship including school uniforms and a ban on cell phones and ipods. This stuff is great and makes my life so much easier! I am thrilled at the vibe at the end of the first week. I just feel comfortable in my own skin and happy to be there making a difference.

Wait, did I just say...HAPPY? to be at school?

Probably the best thing so far are all the visits from my former students. I probably get 10 hugs a day from old kids that pass me in my doorway. Especially amazing are the hugs from kids that were on the fence last year- kids I reamed for smoking weed in school, or kids that I failed for at least a quarter till they got their act together. It makes me feel like I really am accomplishing something here.

Well, keep me and my students in your prayers, and enjoy this video from my first week of school !

http://vimeo.com/14492928

No comments:

Post a Comment