Friday, August 20, 2010

Meep Meep!

I love things that look like their cartoon versions. On our family's recent vacation to Arizona, I got my fill of cartoon joy!

As soon as I got off the plane, I saw a cactus that looked like it should have been the stem of a margarita glass. I couldn't believe it was growing out of the ground. It looked fake! A couple of college guys were on the bus with me to the rental car facility. "Hey man," one said. "Why don't you run as FAST as you can into that thing. No really. No do it. It'll make a great youtube video. It'll go viral!" I had to agree...

It wasn't just the cactus, though. The landscape is the backdrop to every John Wayne western you've ever seen. The entire time I was there, I just kept pointing and saying: "Wile E Coyote fell off THAT cliff!" Canyons and red rocks, cactus and prickly pear- it all looked like a painting or movie set.

I realize I'm talking about the scenery here and not the vacation but I can't emphasize enough what it was like to take in that desert environment with your own eyes. I have been lucky to travel the world and see many "views" but the scenery in Arizona is some of the most breathtaking and unique settings in the world. It is truly God's artwork. A picture CD is in the mail, and I'll post them soon so perhaps you can get the idea!

Beyond the scenery, the time spent with the family was lovely. I really miss everyone now that I am a "grown up" and it had been since Christmas that I'd spent any time with my sister! We are a corny, nerdy family and did all the tourist stops- Native American museums, botanical gardens, outlaw-themed steak houses, Indian cliff-dwellings, hiking trails, and my favorite- a pink jeep tour in Sedona!

I'd recommend a trip to Arizona to anybody. Boycotting be damned- nothing matches the beauty and campy fun of this state. I'm sure there are embarrassing videos and pictures that will spring up soon as a result of this trip. (I can't do a somersault on land...or underwater.) But... it will be worth it!

Peace and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment