Monday, November 1, 2010

A Tale of Two Rallies



So, I'm just going to go ahead and admit it publicly. I went to the Glenn Beck Rally. Partially, it was because my mother couldn't be there (though she was, I'm sure, in spirit.) Partially out of sick curiosity. Partially because when I look at my bi-weekly paycheck for 2000 dollars reduced to 1288, I feel taxed enough already. I wanted to see what he- and his people- had to say.

And this week, I went to the Jon Stewart/Stephen Colbert rally. I had every intention of comparing the two. Seeing which resonated more. Judging them in some kind of a win-loss scenario. But after giving them both a fair shake, I have to say that making some kind of comparison or call would be impossible and unfair.

The fact is, they were totally different events. Beck's rally wasn't as crazy and fear-mongering as Stewart and Colbert would have liked you to believe (though I can't say the same for his TV show.) Beck's rally WAS a serious political gathering. The rally itself and the people there were peaceful, but they had a message they wanted politicians to hear. I found myself supportive of the speeches I heard and the values reflected: for example, honoring the men and women of the military, and treasuring neglected American privileges like the right to vote.

Stewart and Colbert put on a show, and a damn good one. But a serious political gathering? That's up in the air. With the likes of Ozzy Osbourne, A Chilean mine-shaft, and the Myth-busters guys on stage, one can hardly say it was a serious political event. In the few moments in the end, the show took a more solemn turn and Stewart explained the thesis of the Rally: That in America, there are lots of differences, and good people compromise to work together every day to make our country great. Sometimes that fact gets lost in the 24-hour news cycle and as media consumers, we have to be wary of how we are influenced. As an ex-broadcast journalism major who quit for those very reasons, I agreed. I also respected that Stewart mentioned both the left and the right in his criticism of our news cycle.

I think it's odd that as a 23-year old girl that I could find resonance in both rallies. But I guess that makes me the definition of most of America- a moderate with some strong feelings on the Right and some others on the Left. I left both rallies impressed by the same thing: We are a lucky people, a civil people, capable and free to gather in peace in our Capital and express what we believe respectfully.

Now, if only I could get someone to take on the cause that I saw one rally-goer promoting:
"Moderates for Better iPhone Reception!"

Peace (Train) and love:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYxMCALVXZs

Tori

No comments:

Post a Comment