Sunday, April 10, 2011

Waterfront, Boats and Ducks

This week in review seems to have a nautical theme!

Monday, summer peeked its head out in DC and gave us our first 80-something degree day of the year. It was not an evening to stay inside. Everybody poured out and jammed every outdoor restaurant patio and park, trying to catch the fresh air. I was no exception and made my way across town to the Georgetown waterfront, one of the nicest places to spend a happy hour in the city. The cheezy bars there set up rows and rows of patio chairs facing the Potomac- perfect to catch a breeze, people watch, and sip a cold one.




Simply watching the boats go by wasn't enough for me this week. On Thursday, I cashed in a Groupon I'd been hanging onto for a Fondue cruise on the Potomac. (Yeah, yeah, I broke my Lenten rules- AGAIN- but you know what? I don't think Jesus would have wanted me to let that coupon expire. Jesus would have LOVED fondue.) The cruise was great! The evening was clear and mild, and I loved seeing the monuments from the water at sunset. I think my friend and I were definitely the youngest people on the boat. I didn't care- anyone who knows me knows I'm an old lady at heart. The cornier the adventure, the better!


Finally, I wrapped up the week with the delightful Spendley family for a fancy-schmancy dinner at Proof in Chinatown. Cocktails? Amazing. Tuna tartar? Amazing. Beet salad and goat cheese? Amazing. Roast duck? Toffee cake? Bottle of organic wine? French press coffee? You guessed it- all amazing. It was seriously some of the best food I've ever eaten- but even better was the company. Many thanks to the Spendleys for treating me to such a wonderful evening! Perhaps the right term would be O.M.G- right Mr. Spendley?

Peace and love- MISSISSIPPI with SHANA FISHER next weekend!

1 comment: