Monday, July 2, 2012

Holy Derecho

By now, everyone reading this blog has probably watched the news and seen that the entire mid-atlantic region is in a total state of chaos as a result of the "DC Derecho," a super-violent band of storms that rolled through our fair city Friday night.

The Derecho is a storm type that they say occurs annually in the midwest, and is more like a 1 in 4 years occurrence here in the mid-atlantic. However, the weather guy on TV at the gym today said that DC hasn't seen a derecho of THIS capacity in close to 20 years.



Jason has been harassing me for not "weather watching" this huge event and telling him ahead of time that it was looming, but in my defense, checking the weather forecast that morning at work told me nothing. This bad boy began brewing at about 1PM in Chicago and bowled its way across the country in 9 hours. Derechos are often called "land hurricanes" because of their intense wind power and widespread damage, but there's one important difference- real hurricanes give you days of warning and TV hype to get ready. (cough hurricane Irene cough.) I just hope everyone in the area still had their unused hurricane Irene supplies ready to go when this storm came out of nowhere!

As for me, I am safe, have power, and thankfully, a fully intact vehicle. Seeing everyone's cars mashed to bits on the streets has probably been the worst part of the aftermath. There are still massive trees and branches surrounded by caution tape everywhere. Electric poles were bent over like twigs.

"Free Firewood. You Haul." At least they kept their sense of humor. 

Where was I when this massive storm struck? Of all places, at a pool party. We watched the horizon flicker with lightning far away for a long while before I finally got out my phone to check the radar. When I saw what was coming, I FREAKED OUT. I could see how fast it was moving and how close it actually was. I shouted for people to get out of the pool and started scooping up all of our food and garbage. My apartment building was a short two blocks away.... I figured Jason and I could make it safely back in time.

About one block into our retreat home, the storm struck with brute force. I've never been outside in wind like that. We began power walking as fast as we could, dodging small branches and other debris that was starting to swirl around. It was very scary! We jumped into the lobby of my building JUST as the rain arrived. Not a drop hit us, but the torrential downpour was amazing. All I could do was stand at my 10th floor window and watch the almost incessant lightning flash and the wind gust.

But it wasn't until the next morning that I realized just how bad of a storm it actually was. Jason texted me on his way to the hospital, reporting the downed trees and crushed cars. When I crept out myself, around lunch time, I was appalled at the state of the city. All of the traffic lights were out, entire neighborhoods were (and are still) without power. It really looked like a true natural disaster.

Bit by bit things are clearing up, but the roads were pretty empty today as the government gave their employees permission to stay home. I am thinking of and praying especially for the elderly people who are struggling with no A/C during 100 degree heat. Thanks so much to everyone who has texted or called in the past few days!

Peace and Love.


No comments:

Post a Comment