Monday, July 9, 2012

Summer Summer Summer Time


This past week was just one of those perfect, epic summer weeks that you dream about all year. Man, summer is the best- there is just such a joy and a magic to this season…the days are so long, and everyone is happier, even if it’s a sweltering hot and humid 100+ degrees.  I just love it- I love summer clothes, summer food, summer music, summer smells, summer everything! Here is why my week was so good:
Monday evening we said goodbye to our good friend JinSoo over a Mexican feast at local hotspot Alero. JinSoo is a TFA bud who is off to bigger and better things in New Orleans- starting a new school in fact, and bringing his love of technology in the classroom to a place where he’s going to be given the freedom to implement it throughout the curriculum. Good luck JinSoo, we’ll miss you!
Bye JinSoo!
Tuesday night I had book club. Book club is one of the more delightful additions to my life this year, it’s brought a whole new group of friends into my world that I never would have met before. We just finished the read “I Suck At Girls,” by Justin Halpern of “Sh*t my Dad Says” fame. It’s a light, fluffy summer read- perfect for the beach! And let’s be real- book club isn’t really about the book. It’s just an excuse to get a bunch of hens together to eat, drink and gossip. Fun!
Wednesday was the 4th of July, one of my most favorite days of the year. This year was super lucky. Jason had the day off of work so we just got to play, play, play all day! We started out bright and early on our friends’ rooftop for a little celebrating before walking down the street to the Nationals game. What’s more American than baseball on the 4th of July in Washington, DC? Later that night, we went to a different friend’s balcony in Arlington, VA with a spectacular view of the national mall. In fact, the local network puts their cameras on top of his building to film the fireworks for the TV special, so I guess you could say we had a good view. To top it off, we chowed down on catered BBQ from the best BBQ joint in town. I could not have ended the day more full or happy!
Our view, through the hot and haze as it was getting dark
Baby, you're a firework. 
Thursday I finally took a little rest and used the time to cook a fresh, delightful summer meal. Thanks to Shana Fisher, I found this blog, which is ironically appropriate. It’s called “The Shiksa in the Kitchen” and it’s about a not Jewish girl named Tori who likes to cook Jewish food. Her Israeli salad recipe was delish and I munched it for days! Mmmm!
Friday Jason and I had date night and went to Jazz in the Smithsonian sculpture garden on the national mall in DC.  They sell pitchers of sangria, and everyone likes to sit around, dip their feet in the reflecting pool, and enjoy a relaxing Friday evening of free music. This was an especially fun night- a note got passed around encouraging everyone to flash-mob the reflecting pool at 8pm. (yes, this is the naughtiest thing that DC nerds can think of to do on a Friday night.) We plodded out and danced with the rest of the crowd in the knee-high water! It was silly, but so fun and such a happy date!
Splashing around with some Jazz. 
Saturday, the festivities continued with Meredith’s birthday celebrations. More food, more music, more fun. By Sunday, I was completely caput- and yet, if I could have every week go like this one, I’d be the luckiest girl in the world. Cheers to summer!!
Peace and Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment