Monday, February 9, 2009

Merrily We Roll Along

I'm a pretty lucky girl to have so many great things to talk about! The week in review, or more specifically, the weekend in review. 

Thursday night, I was treated to a "just because" wonderful dinner at Delmonico's and a pair of tickets to a Sondheim review down at Syracuse Stage. It is amazing-so much talent finds its way to the Central New York area, but I don't think the students here take advantage of it at all. The show we saw featured Tony-award winning Broadway artists, right at the corner of Irving and East Gennessee. How does everyone miss this stuff? I admit that I'm a bit uneducated in the Sondheim scores, being the cheesy Rogers and Hammerstein girl that I am. But all the same, a night of beautiful scenery, broadway music, and delicious steak is always the best! Oh yeah, and we just happened to run into Jim Boeheim at Delmonico's too! I totally froze, and definitely made eye contact. I went to wave, but then remembered that he didn't actually know me. The result was an awkward penguin-arm and head nod. You'd think after a summer serving celebs in LA I'd be a little more cool....uughhh...

Friday night APO had its fall inductions. We're welcoming nearly 70 pledges this semester. It was the first time in many, many semesters that I sat out. I didn't have a little, and I wasn't on the eboard. The feeling was odd, but at least I have a shiny new grand-little to spoil ! As a second-semester senior, I'm feeling so old in the Fraternity!

Post inductions we got a group together and went bowling at one of the seediest alleys I've ever been to. Even the bowling shoes were sketchy, made of plastic and cracked through. The speakers blasted uncensored rap music, and there were probably 4 bowling balls in the entire place to use. But good company makes for good times, and we had an excellent group join us. I got a few strikes and devoured some surprisingly good buffalo wings. Plus, I feel like you know a person better after you see how they throw a bowling ball. 






Saturday, Justin and I went downtown to the Syracuse Symphony to catch a show called "Forbidden Broadway." You'd have to be at least a little bit of a Broadway dork to understand the show- it was a parody of all the biggest hits of the stage. For example, the song "Tomorrow," from Annie got twisted into "I'm turning 30...Tomorrow," as sung by the depressed and chain-smoking former child star that hasn't had a break since her Annie days. We loved the show and will be back to catch more Symphony performances before the year is out!

Finally, the weekend's close brought on the harsh reality of this upcoming week: namely, my Teach For America final interview on Wednesday. I've never had to jump through so many hoops to apply for something before. The process is rigorous and thorough and very intimidating, but also great experience. I have a lot of work to do before 9 am Wed morning- finalizing a mock-lesson, picking an outfit and re-reading the required discussion articles. The interview will be ALL DAY! I think I will do well, but I have seen many of my well-qualified peers rejected by the program for reasons I can't imagine.

Updates will follow next weekend- 
Peace and Love. 





No comments:

Post a Comment