Monday, February 2, 2009

A Very Happy Birthday

First and foremost, congratulations to the Mark side of the family on the Steeler's Super Bowl win. What a great game it was!  I know you were all biting your teeth when Arizona pulled ahead in the last quarter, but in Steelers style you guys pulled it out. I texted Mom at the game's end "Ok, fine. I'll move to Pittsburgh. Super bowl win= more jobs and better economy." Mom pushed hard for to move to the Steel City during my college search days, and since that failed her new crusade is getting me to move there post grad. Hey, you never know...

Unfortunately, I didn't go to any big parties for the Super Bowl. I confess that I was still pretty wiped out after Friday night's activities- better known as my birthday party! The dinosaur theme was a HUGE hit and about 50 people showed up to help me celebrate. We had TONS of food, an elite menu that included such delacacies as english muffin pizzas, mac and cheese, fries, dinosaur chicken nuggets, dinosaur sugar cookies, cake, and munchies galore. I replaced all the lightbulbs in the kitchen with red bulbs. I also built a plug-in volcano that gave the whole place a red, prehistoric glow. The entire apartment was decked with streamers and dollar store dinosaur decorations. And some people even dressed up: I have a friend whose dad is a palentologist and he came dressed in "paleo-denim", another girl made a stegosaurus necklace, and Justin showed up in a Fred-flinstone like cave man toga. By the end of the night, not a speck of food was left over and everyone was covered in dinosaur stickers. I'm so grateful to all my friends, especially my roommates, that helped me celebrate in such a wonderful way! 

The rest of my week was pretty standard, classes, meetings and chores. My Relay PR work is going well and I'm so proud of the team that I work with. We've been reaching out to all the student organizations on campus, attending meetings and encouraging them to join the event. The results have been pleasantly positive, with everyone from Club Japan to College Republicans making teams. This week, I'll begin work on the next phase: targeting local businesses and SU faculty and staff. The final phase will be with corporate sponsors, but that's still a ways off. Keep your eyes peeled- soon I'll be begging you all to sponsor me personally!

Peace and Love, and enjoy the party pictures below!






1 comment: