Monday, April 20, 2009

More Falls...More Fomals


Unfortunately, the rain has started to fall in Syracuse. But that can't put a damper on memories of this jam-packed and excellent weekend!

All week long, Justin told me to keep Friday morning and early afternoon free. I wondered what on earth he was planning at such an odd time slot. At 11 am, he picked me up and started driving. When we got on I-81, I knew this wasn't an ordinary adventure in Syracuse! We exited in what appeared to be the middle of nowhere, and I still hadn't a clue where we were going. We seemed to be driving through farm fields and country roads when all of a sudden I saw a sign that said "Pratt's Falls State Park." Justin had secretly packed a picnic and taken me to a lunch in the woods! The falls were formed by retreating glaciers, and were the site of Onondaga County's first mill operation in 1796. It was beautiful and warm, and we munched sandwiches and freezer pops until it was time to head back to campus for afternoon classes. 

Later on Friday night, we'd head out into the rural countryside again, but this time I picked the destination. My friend Andrew is a student at Colgate and is a member of their elite accapella singing group "The Colgate 13." The group is nationally acclaimed and has sung at the Superbowl and the White House, and all over the country on tour. Every year I managed to miss his concert, but this year I decided to make the trip. After all, there won't be any more chances to hear him sing as we will both be graduating in May! Colgate has always astounded me: in my opinon, its a little more country club than college, totally elegant and elite. After the show, we went back to a beautiful huge house owned by the singing group and used exclusively to house visiting parents. There, we enjoyed cocktails and another impromptu concert as we mingled and caught up on stories. It was great to see him!

Saturday dawned sunny, much to my delight. I hate being in a dress in the rain, and I had another formal to attend! This was the spring version of the ESF December Soiree, and everyone I know and love had plans to go. While I'm not technically an ESF student, I am in clubs where I've met many of them. It's a great event to bond the two schools and this spring it was held downtown at the OnCenter. Open bar, gourmet dinner and a night of dancing were all included, and we took advantage of all three! Ironically, it was the APO kids (mostly SU students) that were the last ones on the dance floor. My left calf is still killing me from "Cotton-eye'd Joe," and I earned the title of "Master of the Line Dance." Shocking. As the pictures show, everyone looked beautiful!



Finally, Sunday I went downtown for a moving and beautiful event. Syracuse University's chapter of Habitat For Humanity sponsored its first complete house this year, and Sunday was the "House Dedication." The family receiving the house was on hand, along with city officials, Habitat workers, campus leaders, students, professors and friends. Many moving speeches were made and the family was presented the ceremonial bible. Prayers and blessings were given in the hopes that the house would be a place of love, joy and hope. A particularly moving moment for me was when the mother and homeowner spoke about her 8 year old son, a young man with autism. She talked about how hard it was to keep everything together and support her boy without a home. My cousin is autistic, and my family understands the challenges of the condition. Looking at those challenges through the lens of poverty was particularly profound. I wish the best for that mother and her family. 

The week ahead promises mayhem...in the form of MayFest... pictures and stories to come next week!

Peace and Love. 

1 comment: