Monday, May 4, 2009

Wrapping up

This has been a week of conclusions. 

Last week I missed writing my post. Perhaps it was because I felt like my senior year was going out with a fizzle. Everything seems to lack the luster and sparkle it used to have. Perhaps it's my natural reaction to saying goodbye: to simply turn off interest so as to avoid uncomfortable emotions. 

For example, this past weekend was the spring APO initiations. It was the last APO ceremony that I will ever witness. But not being on eboard this semester and not taking a little caused me to feel distant from the whole process. It was fun as always to dress up, and eat good food and be with good friends, but my heart just wasn't in it. Perhaps an entire semester of "he said, she said" fraternity drama has also simply left me tired. There's been lots of "lasts" in APO: last elections, last parties, last trip to the bars. Senior Sendoff was a nice ceremony where brothers toasted the Seniors and we all enjoyed a tasty picnic. We had our nostalgic moments, doodling on the grungy bar walls and snapping pictures with each other. APO has been wonderful and full of memories. But without a doubt, after this weekend, I can say that I'm ready to move on.

Classes also finished with a whimper. I didn't have any tough tests, and smartly paced my final papers so that I wouldn't be overwhelmed this last week. With a click of "send," everything was emailed in and I realized that my undergraduate degree is finished.  Now, without missing a beat, I've started plodding away at my Teach For America course work due this summer. There are FBI background checks to complete, resumes to edit, certifications tests to take and vaccinations to arrange before I can legally step into a public school. But I'm in an odd transition period where, stuck at school for at least another week, I can't get enthusiastic about TFA work just yet.

The nice thing about having a lot of free time is the social freedom I've had in the last few weeks. My friend Stephanie and I just went and got our toenails painted orange. I went on a glorious shopping spree to Target, where I found a blue seersucker suit and just the right bikinis for the summer. Justin and I took a drive north to a quaint old drive-in movie to catch a double feature. But frankly, I don't know what to do with myself. No one ever told me just how BAD daytime television really is. 

As if an angel heard me calling for an end to my boredom, I did get a entertaining phone call this week. Through sheer good luck, and since I'm apparently an "articulate interview," ABC world news has selected me as a "poster child" for the class of 2009 feature they're doing this weekend. The crew is going to follow me around campus, filming me picking up cap and gown, packing my boxes and shopping on Marshall st before doing an interview with me about why I've decided to do Teach For America. The whole idea is very exciting and a really fun way to end my time here at Cuse

Full graduation report next week. 
Peace and Love. 

1 comment: