Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Good, The Bad and the Ugly



I am writing this post on the first day of the third quarter. I just finished inputting my grades for the second quarter. It was a depressing process. Let's get it out of the way first: here's the bad news.

Of my 215 students, approximately one third of them are failing or near failing. That's about 10-13 kids a class rocking out a grade below a 65. It's a depressing statistic, almost as depressing as this:

Of my 215 students, approximately 67% percent received a LOWER grade than the first quarter. About 20 percent stayed the same, and only 10 percent (3-4 students a class) improved.

The reason? Abysmal homework turn in rates. Lack of studying. No class participation. And a general mindset of "What's the LEAST I can do to get by?"

Now, on to the good news.
Growing up, my dad always taught me that failures must been viewed not as letdowns, but as opportunities to excel. So looking at my data, I had to ask myself: what is in MY control here? What can I change in this classroom culture/structure to promote success?

I allowed my inner PR girl to kick in and created a big poster that reads: Do you believe in B or Better? And so have launched my own classroom campaign.

The poster was just the beginning of the changes. I revamped my entire room. I redid the seats, and rebuilt systems- making it much easier, for example, to get your own make up work when you are absent or find a pencil if you forgot yours. I also gave every student a personal "tracker." The sheet of paper has spaces for me to check homework, warm-ups, classwork, and participation for each student each day. It will demand complete accountability, from the students AND from me. It's an end to excuses and hopefully will propel students to succeed.

I explained everything today with a flourish and I think my crowds were impressed. Deep down, I do believe that every student wants to learn but there must be a cultivation of that desire. The new systems offer immediate rewards, (yes, 19-year-olds get amped about a star stamp on their trackers.) and the new mantra "Bs or better, college college college!" I hope will inspire.

Updates soon. Peace and love!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Tori! I am so glad you are able to use your PR knowledge to help motivate your students! You may be on to something! Imagine if you were a consultant after TFA, redesigning classroom systems for teachers across the country?

    Tell me when you can apply theological concepts to the classroom. A's = absolving of sins? D = doomed to purgatory?

    Anthony

    ReplyDelete
  2. T.Ho.

    You are truly an amazing lady and I'm very happy you're teaching in your school in D.C., J.C. knew what he was doing!

    Miss you girl!
    (PS: Phone date soon is a MUST, I'm working in a school for my next round!)

    ReplyDelete