Wednesday, March 3, 2010

March comes in like a lion...

This week:

Monday: School, Gradschool
Tuesday: School, Tutoring
Wednesday: School, Faculty Meeting
Thursday: School, Close grades. Parent Teacher Conferences directly follow.
Friday: School, Collapse.
Saturday: Professional Development. Studying.
Sunday: Tutoring. Work.

Today there was a massive food fight. Dozens of kids are suspended.

I also had a guest speaker come talk to my kids. She was a Navy Officer working in linguistics and knew 4 languages. I brought her to talk about education, staying in school, careers and life in the military, and the financial benefits of studying languages. To my great horror, the conversation took a turn for the worse (?) when my students starting asking if you could go into the military if you had a record... if you smoked weed... if you had done a stint in juvy... if you had been arrested, but it was in another state...

On one hand, they got the answer they needed to hear. NO. No. No...
But I couldn't help but sit at my desk with my hand over my mouth as my students aired their dirty laundry and then shrugged with a "Whelp, that counts me out."

Just hope the other ones...the bright ones... were listening!

In exhaustion,
Tori

No comments:

Post a Comment