Monday, May 31, 2010

Drama at Prom

You've got to read last week's post to understand this week's...

After the mayhem of the senior pranks, Ms. Marrow went easy on the students, all things considered. Her original threat of canceling all the senior week activities subsided, and instead she punished just the pranksters themselves. She was able to catch them all from the security cameras and despite raging parent protests, no one involved in the crime was allowed at prom.

Fast forward to last Thursday. Prom night at a local country club! To my delight, the students were beautifully dressed and everyone was looking great. When I was in high school, some girls pulled some skanky stunts on prom- and others just looked all out terrible in dress styles they should have never worn. These students, however, all looked fabulous, and it was clear that the girls were the boss- every boy matched his date to a T. There were corsages and boutonnieres, and everyone showed up in a limo. Everyone, that is, but one couple...

I was outside with my roommates when a straight-up Cinderella style horse and carriage pulled up the driveway to the prom. The couple inside was dressed to the nines. Yet something was amiss- the crowd outside started buzzing and I saw our administrators rush to the front of the crowd. At first I thought that maybe the issue was the horse. Do you have to get permission to have a horse trot up to the front of a country club mansion? Security approached the carriage: "You've got to move along, get out, get out now!"

The boy in the carriage stood up and addressed the gaping crowd. "Yeah ya'll! This how I bring my boo boo to prom!" The girl shouted "Yeaaah we won't be here long, don't worry!" Then it dawned on me: These were party crashers, the banned senior pranksters! I couldn't believe the gonads these kids had. But worst of all were the parents backing them up. They brought an entourage and made a scene. Our principal had to leave the beautiful celebration of the night to deal with a wildly inappropriate parents who were still furious that their kids were being punished. It was sad to see adults reinforcing such flagrantly disrespectful behavior. Well, as they say, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree!

I wish I had taken pictures at the event. It's hard not to feel like a kid at a dance! I felt like it would have been weird for me to have kids pose- we are, after all, the lame-o chaperons. All in all, it was a joyful evening. I'm always so happy to see my students in a positive light.

Memorial day weekend was delightful. Summer is SO HERE. I'll write again soon.
Peace and Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment