Thursday, December 9, 2010

All I want for Christmas is Youk....

.... And now Gonzalez. And now Crawford. Has there been a better off-season in baseball in... ever?

I'm usually treating baseball like an "off again" boyfriend at this time of year- avoiding memories so I don't think about him too much when I know it'll be forever till we're together again. But it's just too good to ignore! I'm amped about April, and it's December. What am I going to do?

Oh, I know. Maybe I'll just watch Tom Brady play the best season of his career and trounce the filthy Jets. Or maybe I'll kick back and enjoy my undefeated Orange on the court. It's been good times in my sports world lately, which is much-needed now that the bitter cold has set in around DC!

Thanksgiving break was lovely and it's been back to work at full speed leading up to the Christmas holidays. We're trying to jam a whole unit in before Santa arrives, and the kids in the school are sure making it difficult. Monday, the halls were abuzz with stories of five separate fist fights at Saturday's dance. Yesterday, there were two massive food fights that got tons of kids suspended. New facebook groups about "Gwynn park hoes" are causing a lot of drama, and class-skipping seems to be at an all-time high. Cutting through all that noise to try to teach the verb "tener" is quite the task, but I'm getting there. Meredith and I get through our days blasting Usher in the hallways, wearing silly outfits, and going above and beyond with the creativity of our lessons and projects in an attempt to get the kids through the door. It's working- we're seeing some astonishing mastery levels. Our most recent class test averaged at 87%- compared to last year's 60% average.

There's a ton to look forward to this weekend. TFA holiday parties, cookie exchanges, and the high school holiday concert are all on the schedule. My Pandora is set to Manheim Steamroller, and it's probably time to hit the mall for some holiday shopping too. Music-cookies-booze-mall-Tom Brady? Not a bad weekend at all!

Peace and love!
Tori

No comments:

Post a Comment