Sunday, August 9, 2009

DC at Last

Yes! I am finally here in the district, in my adorable new house in my amazing new city! It is so refreshing to have a LIFE back- if only for a few weeks. Right now, the place is chaos as we are all more or less "camping out," here. I don't have a bed, or any furniture, and the dining room is a glorified storage closet for all the bags and boxes of items we can't bring ourselves to deal with yet. We are all very excited for when this house becomes a "home." I think just a few storage cabinets will make all the difference in the world!

My two roommates spent last week in professional development and more training as they prepare for the year. But since I am in limbo, I decided to go home to MA and at least pack my car with my clothes and kitchen supplies. Tonight, I made a shrimp scampi in my new kitchen. Even if I don't have a bed, I'm good as long as I can cook! This upcoming week will be much of the same: they will continue their training, and I will continue waiting. I am told that I might have some answers from the TFA office, or at least some progress, by the week's end. In the meanwhile, I plan on painting, unpacking, and continuing the never-ending cleaning. Keep your fingers crossed for me that I am assigned to a Spanish classroom!

Otherwise, I don't have all that much to report. DC is just wonderful. It feels like I live in Paris- the city is so beautiful and refined in so many ways. There are vibrant colors and all kinds of people to behold, and the sight of the monuments and the architecture in general still takes my breath away. I've been lucky enough to check out Chinatown, Georgetown, Dupont Circle, and Adams Morgan this week. Already I have been to some amazing restaurants and great bars. There's just so much to do and everyone here is young and confident. It's not hard to meet people. I would love to join a softball league or take a pilates class to make some more new friends. I am expecting challenging, draining work during the school year- but I refuse to give up my social life entirely! There's just too much to see and do here.

Until next week. Peace and love!

No comments:

Post a Comment