Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Mayhem

News Bulletin: I am now a Spanish teacher at Gwynn Park High School in Prince George's County. I have 160 students that I teach in 6 periods, block scheduling, on A and B days. I teach 3 classes of Spanish I and 3 classes of Spanish II- each class has 30-35 students. I have more stories in 3 days than I could ever tell in a blog- and it's only been 3 days.

I think from now on, saving up for a weekly post is going to be too overwhelming. I'm going to start doing random small entries when a good story comes up, because I find that those literary gems are lost by week's end and I'm too tired to sit and write a thorough post.

I LOVE my students. They are hilarious so far, and so ready to learn. Yes, they are pushing back- they know beyond any shadow of a doubt that I am the new kid in town. But I can also tell that they are craving structure and a challenge. When I introduced my big goal of 80% class mastery, there were many groans and moans of protest- but there were also students who said out loudly, "Thank God Y'all! A teacher that's goin make us learn!"

Most funny have been the questions. "Are you giving us homework? Are you going to be hard? You one a those strict teachers or somethin?" Yes, yes and yes. But are you going to learn more Spanish with me in one month than you've learned all of last year? Absolutely. Are you going to like my class? Absolutely. Are you going to have to work your butt off? Absolutely...and that will be the challenge. Making them WANT to work.

Their minds are already blown by the organization, games and activities of the first few classes. I don't think many teachers they've seen give them this kind of a show. It's only day 3 and I've got two more years to go. There is a LOT to learn...

Peace and Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment