Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Alive and well

Just a short post this evening to let everyone know that yes- I am alive and well. I love my school, I love my students, I love my coworkers. Every day is simply entertaining, and I think I'm very lucky to land where I did.

I have to say one thing though: There is simply nothing more thrilling than taking away a student's cell phone. It's a cardinal rule: don't text during my class. Don't text during any class, but especially not one where the teacher is literally dancing a jig and twirling and bopping and having you interact, where you're speaking and repeating and asking and answering, where everything on the board is new to you and where your teacher is young enough to absolutely know what you're doing when you're "looking around in your purse." No, don't text in that class above all classes or there will be a problem.

The best part about the cell phone take-away is the standoff. Some students roll over quietly, knowing they are busted. But some of them put up a good fight- what they don't know is, it isn't a fair one. I'm going to win every time. Today it went a little something like this:

(approach student while still teaching)
Me: Give me your cell phone. (Put palm out.)
Student: No.
Me: Give me your cell phone. Clase, que significia son las dos?
Student: No.
Me: Give me your cell phone. This is not a negotiation. Muy bien! It's two. Ok, Son las cinco! Son las cinco.
Student: I'm putting it away.
Me: Nope, now. (beckons with hand)
Student: I'm not going to.
Me: Well, I'm not going anywhere. Give it to me.
Student: When am I getting it back? (cedes phone.)
Me: End of the day. See you then. Yes! 5 o'clock! Very good!

In fact, it's almost like fishing. The fight before the catch makes it more fun. I took two today. I'm hoping to get up to about 5 a week. I'm told that's how I'll know when I've really become a "strict" teacher... haha!

Peace and love!

No comments:

Post a Comment